Shift LeadJob ID: R-116934
Location(s): 8929 Madison Ave, Fair Oaks, California, United States, 95628Job status: Full time Apply now
JOB DESCRIPTION: Shift Lead
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION The primary purpose and function of the Shift Lead is to perform the duties of a CSC and/or veterinary assistant/technician, as well as provide continuity and operational support across all shifts, ensuring that the hospital always has leadership onsite to support associates and clients. The Shift Lead will help coordinate and guide the paraprofessional staff and support hospital leadership in maximizing the productivity and profitability of the hospital. This position will work with the Practice Manager and/or Chief of Staff (COS) to help ensure effective communication with clients, associates, Field Leadership, Central Team Support, and PetSmart.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS The ratio of time spent on leadership duties and paraprofessional responsibilities will vary depending on the hospital situation; the Shift Lead must use good judgment in prioritizing their duties on any given day, ensuring hospital productivity. On average, the ratio is expected to be about 20% leadership duties (primarily when the Practice Manager and/or Chief of Staff are not present) and 80% paraprofessional duties. Paraprofessional Responsibilities (approximately 80% of time):
* Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team. Perform the duties of a CSC and/or veterinary assistant/technician, which may include the following:
* Actively recruit new clients by promoting hospital services. Manage routing the flow of clients and pets to ensure superior client care and maximum productivity of the veterinary medical team.
* Maximize the number of pets seen by the hospital team through a productive and efficiently run hospital to support the needs of our wellness plan clients.
* Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service at all times. This includes encouraging hospital visits, welcoming clients and pets, ensuring that they are comfortable in the hospital, educating them about their pet's health, performing or preparing procedures that do not require veterinarian or veterinary technician assistance, completing preparatory work for other procedures, and monitoring hospitalized or surgical pets as allowed in the state practice acts.
* Educate clients about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventative care, pet health needs and hospital services.
* Assist incoming clients by completing the required documentation, entering all pet information and history in the computer, utilizing proper collars and tags for identification, and ensuring prompt service.
* Assist outgoing clients by providing all necessary instructions, information and invoices, dispensing prescription items per the veterinarian's instructions, selling retail products and scheduling future appointments.
* Manage the finances by maintaining accurate balances and utilizing proper opening and closing procedures.
* Act as the extra eyes, ears and hands for the veterinarian and veterinary technician to ensure the best quality pet care and to maximize the veterinarian's and veterinary technician’s productivity, and communicate with the other associates to maintain the flow of patients.
* Obtain relevant information and history from clients and maintain proper and complete medical charts.
* Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates by utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and labs.
* Assist with surgery as applicable. Utilize technical skills to the fullest, within state practice acts and as outlined in the NAVTA guidelines for veterinary assistant skills and duties. Conduct administrative functions as necessary. Leadership Responsibilities (approximately 20% of time):
* Assist Practice Manager in developing an efficient, productive hospital team that provides the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients, following all Banfield protocols and practices, as well as all local, state and federal laws, focusing the team to achieve practice priorities while building our culture and brand.
* Support Practice Manager in hospital labor management which may include adjusting paraprofessional team’s schedules on a shift by shift basis.
* May assist Practice Manager in the selection, training, and day-to-day supervision of the paraprofessional team to ensure quality medical care, exceptional client service, associate engagement and maximum productivity.
* Provide professional, efficient and exceptional client service (lead by example), ensuring all associates do the same, to include client education about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, pet health needs, hospital services, marketing campaigns, and other related information; effectively resolve client issues.
* Assist Practice Manager in creating an environment where a team can deliver quality, efficient and effective veterinary care to pets.
* Foster an environment that engages associates, where associates do their best and feel good about being a member of the team.
* Provide effective communication between associates, clients, hospital leadership and Central Team Support.
* Ensure all hospital associates adhere to Banfield dress and grooming guidelines.
* Ensure all hospitalized pets are prepped and all equipment is ready for surgery.
* Ensure cases are assigned to VA’s and that they are clear on their work responsibilities for the day.
* Prepare whole team on cases scheduled for the day, assist with any transfers of cases from day before or external referrals to provide continuity of care, triage the treatment board.
* Assist Practice Manager in identifying potential “bottlenecks” and formulating solutions to remove barriers in medical operations that would impede the doctors in providing world class preventive care and client service.
* Confer with field leadership and assist with client resolution decisions, invoice adjustments and client experience exceptions.
* Train and mentor new paraprofessional associates.
* Quality check medical records, go home medications, regulatory documentations, hospital cleanliness, and timeliness of doctors seeing exam room patients.
* Address broken equipment issues and assist in inventory management.
* Other job duties as assigned.
THE FIVE PRINCIPLES Quality – The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
* Responsibility – As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
* Mutuality – A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
* Efficiency – We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
*Freedom – We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
HIRING QUALIFICATIONS COMPETENCIES Leadership
* Priority Setting Approachability Directing Others Position Description
Shift Lead - Job Description.docx 3 of 4 Last Revised: 8/19/2013 JP
* Conflict Management Customer Focus Functional Peer Relationships Communication Skills Functional/Technical Skills Action Oriented Motivating Others
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO) Ability to multi-task – Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration. Organizational ability – Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order. Problem solving skills – Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Translates problems into practical solutions. Intellectual ability – Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions. Mathematical ability – Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement. Computer skills – Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software.
ATTITUDES (WILL DO) Initiative – Shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done. Integrity – Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment. Cooperativeness – Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others. Flexibility – Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned. Independence – Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision. Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency – Maintains a positive “can do” outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.) Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position often requires working weekends and evenings. The noise level in the work environment is moderately high. Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables. Requires ambulatory skills sufficient to perform duties while at hospital and to visit various locations. Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read information. Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances. Position Description Shift Lead - Job Description.docx 4 of 4 Last Revised: 8/19/2013
JP EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING Associate’s degree or veterinary technician certification/licensure preferred, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Two years experience (healthcare, veterinary profession, service-type industry, etc.) required, with six months experience at Banfield preferred. Prior supervisory experience preferred. Medical background (veterinary technician, human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.) with medical terminology training preferred.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.
No recently viewed jobs
No saved jobs
We’re more than just a hospital. We’re an entire network of locations, serving pet lovers around the country — and guided by dedicated teams inside our headquarters.