Photo credit: Jeff Hinds
Field Director - Pennsylvania MarketApply Now Job ID FL 000D8 Location 01-Field Leadership Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Job Type Full-time regular
Summary and Qualifications:
The primary purpose and function of the Field Director is to ensure all hospitals in the market deliver on the performance of the 3 Pillars, make decisions using the 5 Principles, and hire, coach and develop hospital leaders (PM/COS) to operate an effective and productive hospital team, ensure a safe and engaging hospital environment, and improve both the medical quality and business performance of the hospital.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Ensure compliance with all practice protocols, policies and procedures and with all local, state and federal laws. Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates and the maintenance of clean, safe and organized hospitals.
- Enforce all Banfield standards. Continuously build Banfield brand in connection with all medical and non-medical standards.
- Build mindset of promoting preventive care.
- Develop a performance development plan (PDP) and conduct a formal review of each practice manager (PM) in market at least once a year. If a hospital does not have a PM, develop a PDP and conduct a formal review for each paraprofessional in that hospital.
- Develop each PM in assigned market to lead hospital teams to provide the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients and to maximize efficiency, productivity and profitability.
- Partner with the Director Veterinary Quality (DVQ) to deliver outstanding financial results for all area hospitals. Focus the teams to deliver the practice priorities and performance goals of the 3-Pillars.
- Develop each PM to coach and develop the skills and abilities of their paraprofessionals.
- Tell, show, and observe each PM coaching associates at front desk, in rooms, communicating with clients, coaching on client connections, and providing feedback to paraprofessionals on performance to PDP goals.
- Provide feedback to each PM on observed successes and areas needing improvement in their ability to coach/develop paraprofessionals.
- Own (in partnership with Talent Acquisition) the recruitment, hiring, coaching, supervision and mentorship of PMs and paraprofessionals in assigned market.
- Support the DVQ in the recruitment, hiring, coaching and supervision of doctors in their hospitals.
- Support LVT school relationship recruiting and outside sourcing.
- Develop, implement and oversee on-boarding plans for all new PMs and paraprofessionals in assigned market.
- Partner with the DVQ to effectively communicate and cascade key messages between the practice/regional team and the market in weekly conference calls and market meetings, when necessary, to execute new or update programs and initiatives.
- Ensure each PM is regularly up to date with all internal communications, holds regular hospital meetings to share necessary business and medical information, ensuring all associates remain informed, engaged, practicing quality medicine, are productive, and have the opportunity to provide feedback.
- Partner with the DVQ in developing market/hospital budgets, and developing action plans to improve the performance of the 3-Pillars.
- Partner with DVQ to determine the appropriate productivity levels for doctors and paraprofessionals, aligning on the number of doctors, VMT days, and para hours/doctor needs to achieve maximum success.
- Own expense management of PMs and paraprofessionals in assigned market.
- Oversee all PMs in assigned market to ensure they effectively create and maintain paraprofessional schedules. Partner with the DVQ to ensure the paraprofessional schedule meets client and business needs. Ensure hospitals without a PM have effective paraprofessional schedules.
- Support the DVQ with effective doctor scheduling, when necessary, to ensure the doctor schedule in all hospitals meets the needs of associates, clients and the business.
- Own operational emergencies within assigned market.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Requires ambulatory skills sufficient in order to perform duties while at hospital and to visit various locations.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate equipment.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
- Must be able to travel long distances by air, train or car on short notice for extended periods of time. Must meet age requirements of national car rental agencies and have reliable private transportation for frequent local travel including a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Ability to establish and maintain a home office.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- A minimum of six years of relevant professional experience is required, preferably with three years or more in multi-location management in a service industry.
- A medical background (veterinary technician, human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.) is preferred.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
Banfield Pet Hospital Job Alerts
Join our Talent Community and get notified about new jobs that match you! In 30 seconds you can let Banfield Pet Hospital know you're interested!
Learn what it's like to work in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.