Banfield ExternshipJob ID: R-73229
Location(s): 3119 Silverlake Village Dr, Pearland, Texas, United States, 77584Job status: Full time Apply now
SUMMARY OF JOB PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
The primary purpose and function of the Extern is to ‘shadow’ the mentor veterinarian in order to observe and take part in clinical procedures and to gain various firsthand veterinary experience and knowledge.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Meet with mentor to identify program expectations and create learning goals.
- Learn all aspects of hospital organization and function by observing and participating in procedures with the mentor doctor.
- Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates by utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and labs.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service at all times. This includes performing procedures that do not require veterinarian assistance (depending on skill level), performing surgical procedures in the presence of mentor veterinarian, completing preparatory work for other procedures, ensuring that clients and pets are comfortable in the hospital, monitoring hospitalized or surgical pets.
- Act as the extra eyes, ears and hands for the veterinarian to ensure the best quality pet care.
- Mentor and be mentored through the objectives of the Externship Program.
- Other job duties as assigned.
THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality – The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility – As individuals, we demand total responsibility from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of others.
- Mutuality – A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared benefit will endure.
- Efficiency – We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do only what we can do best.
- Freedom – We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit to remain free.
HIRING QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES
• Integrity & Trust
• Peer Relationships
• Priority Setting
• Communication Skills
• Personal Learning
CAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task – Manages multiple tasks at one time; quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of frustration.
- Communication skills – Reads, writes and speaks fluent English, using appropriate grammar, style and vocabulary. Correctly spells commonly used English words and job specific terms. Demonstrates exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Organizational ability – Demonstrates a systematic approach in carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Problem solving skills – Demonstrates a strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems. Unusually decisive in handling difficult problems. Translates problems into practical solutions.
- Client service skills – Consistently ensures the team provides the client with attentive, courteous and informative service. Gains and shows personal satisfaction from delivering great service.
- Intellectual ability – Accurately and consistently follows instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can provide directions.
- Mathematical ability – Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert units of measurement.
- Computer skills – Comfortably and confidently uses a computer and specialized software. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.
- Leadership skills – Ability to lead and manage projects with a sense of urgency to get results. Ability to successfully supervise, coach and mentor others. Displays positive attitude toward all practice protocols, procedures, and systems.
ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative – Shows willingness and aptitude to use own discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and small tasks need to be done.
- Integrity – Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound judgment.
- Cooperativeness – Willing to work with others, collaborating and compromising where necessary; promptly share relevant information with others.
- Flexibility – Is open to changing situations and opportunities and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence – Able and willing to perform tasks and duties without supervision.
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency – Maintains a positive “can do” outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness, and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with stressful situations.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Ability to be confident around pets (i.e., dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc.)
- Client needs and work volume may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job. This position requires special hours including working weekends and evenings.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderately high.
- Requires sufficient ambulatory skills in order to perform duties while at hospital.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, finger-hand-arm dexterity with the ability to reach and grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate equipment.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Associate is routinely exposed to a variety of pets that may bite or scratch, and on occasion, exposed to anesthesia, radiation, biological hazards and medication/controlled substances.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING
- Bachelor’s degree in veterinary medicine or related area required.
- Enrolled in a DVM/VMD program at a college of veterinary medicine.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Company Policy, Federal and State Laws Forbid Discrimination Because of Age, Color, Race, Religion, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation or National Origin.
No recently viewed jobs
No saved jobs
We’re more than just a hospital. We’re an entire network of locations, serving pet lovers around the country — and guided by dedicated teams inside our headquarters.