External Communications Manager - MVHJob ID: R-124305
Los Angeles, WashingtonFull time Apply now
Summary and Qualifications:
As part of the Mars Petcare family of businesses, Mars Veterinary Health is a global network of veterinary practices made possible by 75,000 Associates who care for millions of pets across nearly 3,000 clinics in more than 20 countries each year. We are committed to leveraging our reach to make a long-term positive impact on people, pets, and the planet and know our Purpose – A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS – starts with the people who care for them.We strive to offer unparalleled veterinary care for pets by first and foremost enabling and empowering our Associates to do what they love, whether in primary, specialty, and emergency care or management and leadership.
Effective internal and external communications about Mars Veterinary Health (MVH) is critical to our business success and reputation. As the world’s largest veterinary care provider, MVH has a responsibility to advance the veterinary profession for the wellbeing of people, pets, and the planet—and effective communication is critical to meeting these expectations.
This role requires a self-starter who will oversee end-to-end development, execution, and reporting of communications initiatives, campaigns, and MVH social channels to drive progress on our reputation, recruitment & retention (Associate engagement), and sustainability goals—and foster positive stakeholder relationships in the process. Involves working closely with various internal stakeholders and external partners (including vendors/agencies) to connect dots and ensure alignment between MVH and cross-business unit communications and broader Mars Petcare, SDX, and Mars, Inc. efforts.
Requires superior attention to detail with proficient written and verbal communication skills; professionalism and comfort around higher management; strong interpersonal and organizational skills; social media expertise; and the ability to work independently.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Support and independently manage MVH communications, including proactive storytelling, media campaigns, and materials development, to drive awareness and favorable perceptions of MVH and our businesses + Mars by association.
- Oversee MVH social media channels, including but not limited to managing and socializing editorial calendars, creating/reviewing copy and digital assets, and coordinating agency, vendor, internal stakeholder, partner support.
- Coordinate media opportunities and interviews with spokespeople across the organization, including the development of briefing materials and talking points. Includes fielding and vetting inbound media inquiries, providing counsel, and recommended approach.
- Organize and activate external stakeholder engagement. Help manage key external relationships and partnerships.
- Partner across Mars, the MVH businesses, and external partners to organize, support, and execute programs, campaigns, and events—and ensure alignment between MVH communications and broader Mars Petcare, SDX, and Mars, Inc. efforts.
- Support executive visibility efforts such as social media support, media interviews, speaking engagements, event preparations, and content publishing.
- Track and report out on industry, sustainability, and other relevant global news cycles and trends.
- Lead issues management / reactive comms on an as-needed basis.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume/deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications is required (with strong preference for sustainability experience).
- Communications experience is required, developing effective and compelling communication materials and campaigns, for both internal and external audiences; specifically experience working for an agency is preferred.
- Agency and/or Sustainability experience is preferred.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to simultaneously prioritize and manage multiple projects, manage scope, effectively Integrate with various stakeholders, and mitigate risks is required.
- Experience of effective collaboration across functions and geographies to solve challenges. Good relationship builder and strong stakeholder management skills.
- Strong writing skills; excellent English written and communication skills is preferred.
- Health care background (veterinary or human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.) is preferred.
Salary:$100,500 – $150,000
What We Offer – The Good Stuff:
- Competitive salary with paid time off & holidays so you can spend time with the people you love.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your loved ones.
- Fertility and family-building assistance.
- Paid Parental leave.
- Practice Paid Basic Life Insurance.
- Practice Paid Short- and Long-Term Disability.
- Competitive referral program – join our team, bring your friends, and get paid.
- Automatic enrollment 401(k) Savings Plan after 60 days of employment with generous company match.
- Commuter Benefits.
- Legal Plan.
- Health Savings Account & Flexible Spending Account.
- Mental health support and resources.
- Paid Volunteering.
- Optimum Wellness Plans® for up to three pets.
- Continuing Education allowance & MED hours for eligible positions.
- Student Debt Relief (for full-time DVMs).
- A Variety of discounts including Mars, PetSmart, Royal Canin, fitness, cellular and so much more.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Mars Veterinary Health (MVH)® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. MVH is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. MVH complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every MVH location.
No recently viewed jobs
No saved jobs
We’re more than just a hospital. We’re an entire network of locations, serving pet lovers around the country — and guided by dedicated teams inside our headquarters.