Data Scientist (Data Platforms & Applied Intelligence)
Job ID: R-123118
- Mid-level, Senior, Executive
(if any) required
It's an exciting time to join Banfield. We're on a mission to create A Better World for Pets and the people who love them using the latest technology. We have a super-charged IT team and lots of awesome resources to help you realize your full career potential. Banfield seeks to be a key player in the world of medical informatics as not just a veterinary practice, but also a technology practice. Technology is Banfield’s competitive advantage—which positions the company toward a future of opportunities for insights at the fingertips of doctors and pet owners.
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Technologically savvy
How we care. How we work.
We do it for the same reasons you do. To live our love for pets and pet owners. To continually create better models of treatment. That’s what brought us into our hospitals. Now, see how you can put it into practice with each and every visit, whether you’re interacting with pets or supporting our network of care.
At Banfield, our greatest asset is our people and we take pride in looking after each other. Each of us has different experiences of the ‘way we do things’ based on many different influences. While there isn’t a single culture at Banfield, there is a common, recognizable cultural thread which unites us and gives us a sense of belonging, so that we feel like part of the family. There are three elements at the heart of our culture that we see as strengths we want to sustain: The Five Principles, Associate Concept and People Leadership.
Our opportunities are also as diverse as our workforce so no matter which career path you want to explore, Banfield is behind you. We have a robust career development platform and many resources to help you achieve your career potential.
Sr. Software Engineer
Medical, dental and vision benefits, including time off.
401(k) Retirement Plans
Employer-matching 401k retirement plan.
Career development tracks within Banfield and our sister companies.
Free onsite gym/ fitness center, onsite bistro with beautiful outdoor patio and affordable pricing, private nursing moth rooms and more!
Flexible schedules with working from home options.
Competitive compensation packages + annual bonus.
Data Scientist (Data Platforms & Applied Intelligence)
Job ID: R-123118
This will be a remote position based out of the Banfield Pet Hospital headquarters in Vancouver, WA (Pacific Time Zone preferred).
Salary Range: $100,531 - $138,230 (DOE)
Summary and Qualifications:
Provides expertise to the successful implementation of Banfield’s Analytics strategy for various business divisions such as P&O, Marketing, Finance, Operations and Veterinary Affairs.
Drive advance analytics projects for various business divisions with Banfield.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Exercise independent research to make recommendations/decisions about which advanced analytics, statistical and machine learning methodologies are most appropriate to derive valuable insights from collected data.
- Build and implement statistical models and advanced programming to empower the organization with high value insights.
- Conduct model design, feature engineering, performance evaluation, and data maintenance as necessary to maintain and improve model performance.
- Manipulate and analyze complex data sets to ensure accuracy in data tools.
- Apply creative, structured, and analytical thinking to create cohesive, well-grounded recommendations for data solutions to business problems.
- Partner closely with data stewards of various functions to ensure adherence to best practice and Mars guidelines regarding governance, data quality, and data security procedures.
- Create business intelligence tools and reports, such as data models and dimensional analyses, composing technical documents in support of the development, implementation, and maintenance of BI systems.
- Derive functional requirements from high-level business needs, understanding the question/problem and identifying the data needs and sources.
- Apply data analytics to provide valuable quantitative metrics needed to illustrate organizational challenges, measure efficiencies and return on investment on key initiatives.
- Build and deliver well-crafted presentations of findings to educate stakeholders and partners on trends, challenges and opportunities and ensure ongoing awareness of business and industry trends.
- Design and lead the development of innovative new solutions (proof of concept development, business case development, feasibility analysis, prototyping and deliverables).
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume/deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Master’s degree in Analytics, Mathematics, Statistics, AI or Machine Learning, Computer Science, Business Intelligence, or a related field is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Seven years of experience in Data Science or Business Analytics are required.
- Expert-level knowledge of SQL is required.
- Proficiency with R or Python, packages (Numpy, SciPy, pandas, scikit-learn, dplyr, ggplot2), Azure ML, and Databricks is required.
- Experience building and deploying predictive models with demonstrably large or complex datasets to support business strategy is required.
- Demonstrable experience applying mathematics, statistics, and machine learning techniques is required.
What We Offer – The Good Stuff:
- Competitive salary with paid time off & holidays so you can spend time with the people you love
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your loved ones
- Fertility and family-building assistance
- Paid Parental leave
- Practice Paid Basic Life Insurance
- Practice Paid Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Competitive referral program – join our team, bring your friends, and get paid*
- Automatic enrollment 401(k) Savings Plan after 60 days of employment with generous company match
- Commuter Benefits
- Legal Plan
- Health Savings Account & Flexible Spending Account
- Mental health support and resources
- Paid Volunteering
- Optimum Wellness Plans® for up to three pets
- Continuing Education allowance & MED hours for eligible positions
- Student Debt Relief (for full-time DVMs)
- A Variety of discounts including Mars, PetSmart, Royal Canin, fitness, cellular and so much more
Even More Good Stuff:
- Opportunities for growth and leadership roles at Banfield, Mars, and other divisions of Mars
- Health and well-being benefits to support quality of life
- Associate-led equity, inclusion, and diversity groups (we have 7 of them!)
- Awesome opportunities to volunteer through Mars Volunteer Program, like volunteering at coral reef cleanups or on research vessels!
*Terms and conditions apply
**Benefits eligibility is based on employment status
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
No recently viewed jobs
No saved jobs
Making the Veterinary Industry More Inclusive
From the time she began her professional life, Tiffany King had one goal in mind: to make a difference.Read more
Banfield Careers: Growth and Development
Banfield supports all associate’s career aspirations. Hear about Ronica's experience at the Practice.Watch video
We’re more than just a hospital. We’re an entire network of locations, serving pet lovers around the country — and guided by dedicated teams inside our headquarters.