Sr. Manager, PayrollJob ID: R-61599 Location(s): Vancouver, Washington Job status: Full time Apply now
Summary and Qualifications:
The primary purpose and function of the Sr. Manager, Payroll is to serve as a leader on the S&F team by managing all functions of the payroll and travel and expense (T&E) departments and ensuring associate pay is processed timely, accurately and in compliance with federal, state and local government policies and regulations.
This position acts as a custodian and co-pilot to the business in all areas payroll and T&E related, coordinating the processing of time & attendance records, maintaining payroll controls and systems, ownership of the T&E policies and procedures, processing accurate expense reports and payrolls, and analyzing and reporting on payroll and expense report data. This role also entails coaching, mentoring, and supervising payroll and T&E staff.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Lead and contribute to the development of a high performing cohesive payroll and T&E team within the Five Principles of Mars, Inc.
- Be knowledgeable and keep up to date on best practices in payroll and T&E processing methods and approaches.
- Implement best practices in the payroll and T&E function including advancing process flows, procedure documentation, checklists, communications, etc.
- Implement best practices to drive efficiencies targets and advance team towards optimal performance metrics.
- Maintain open lines of communications and networks with functional leaders in the organization (legal counsel, finance leaders, P&O leadership, hospital field leadership, operational leadership, etc.).
- Lead, conduct and facilitate discussions with executives to assess implications of policy changes.
- Supervise and monitor workloads of payroll senior coordinators, coordinators, associates and/or temps, including ensuring continuity during leave of absences, sick or transitions.
- Ensure adequate succession planning in place and maintain plan throughout the year.
- Review, audit and evaluate performance of bi-weekly payroll processing and reoccurring check runs.
- Advance the development and maintain a comprehensive payroll manual thoroughly documenting the payroll process, job descriptions, roles and responsibilities, and desk top procedures.
- Advance the development and maintain controls to ensure an accurate payroll processing with each distribution.
- Act as a liaison between the business unit and the payroll vendors, resolving any issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Partner with legal counsel on payroll specific matters, including state and local government requirements, data requests, system requirements and adjustments.
- Oversee and support the lead T&E manager in owning the Banfield Travel and Expense policies and procedures.
- Be responsible for incorporating any changes to T&E policies necessary based on the direction of the CFO.
- Ensure policies comply with applicable IRS regulations.
- Support the T&E lead in supervising and monitoring workloads of T&E senior coordinators, coordinators, associates, and temps, including ensuring continuity during leave of absences, sick or transition periods.
- Partner with the corporate communication team to ensure travel and expense T&E policies and procedures are appropriately communicated throughout the organization.
- Partner with the regional finance managers to provide reporting related to expense reports processed to assist in cost management of the business.
- Support and/or take leading roles on system upgrades, implementations, and integration efforts to improve controls, business processes, and efficiency.
- Resolve elevated hospital and CTS associate calls related to both payroll and T&E inquiries.
- Recruit, interview, hires, trains, counsels, coaches, and mentors all associates with a critical goal of developing a strong cohesive functioning team that operates within Mars Five Principles.
- Work closely with the Accounting, FP&A, and Reporting teams in conducting payroll analysis.
- Other job duties as assigned.
Special Working Conditions:
- Ability to work at a computer for long periods of time.
- Project timelines and work volume/deadlines may often require more than 40 hours per week to complete essential duties of this job.
- Must have mental processes for reasoning, remembering, mathematics and language ability (reading, writing, and speaking the English language) to perform the duties proficiently.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 pounds.
- Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
- Environment where pets are present.
Experience, Education and/or Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Human Resources or a closely related field is required, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP), SHRM-CP or PHR certification is required.
- SCP/SPHR certification is preferred.
- Eight years of relevant professional experience leading and overseeing payroll processing and T&E policy implementation are required.
- Eight years of supervisory experience with team building ability are required.
- Experience with a large (10,000+) multi-state bi-weekly payroll process is required.
- Experience with federal, multi state and local payroll regulations is required.
- Experience with T&E policies and related legal requirements is required.
- Medical background (veterinary technician, human healthcare, pharmaceutical, etc.) with medical terminology training is preferred.
WE ARE A DRUG-FREE, SMOKE-FREE, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Banfield Pet Hospital® strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
No recently viewed jobs
No saved jobs