Shift LeadJob ID: R-67114
Location(s): 475 Bank St, Waterbury, Connecticut, United States, 06708Job status: Full time Apply now
Shift Lead Position Profile
The primary purpose and function of the Shift Lead is to perform the duties of a CSC and/or veterinary assistant/technician, as well as provide continuity and operational support across all shifts, ensuring that the hospital always has leadership onsite to support associates and clients. The Shift Lead will help coordinate and guide the paraprofessional staff and support hospital leadership in maximizing the productivity and profitability of the hospital. This position will work with the Practice Manager and/or Chief of Staff (COS) to help ensure effective communication with clients, associates, Field Leadership, Central Team Support, and PetSmart.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
The ratio of time spent on leadership duties and paraprofessional responsibilities will vary depending on the hospital situation; the Shift Lead must use good judgment in prioritizing their duties on any given day, ensuring hospital productivity. On average, the ratio is expected to be about 20% leadership duties (primarily when the Practice Manager and/or Chief of Staff are not present) and 80% paraprofessional duties.
Paraprofessional Responsibilities (approximately 80% of time):
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within self and team.
- Perform the duties of a CSC and/or veterinary assistant/technician, which may include the following:
- Actively recruit new clients by promoting hospital services. Manage routing the flow of clients and pets to ensure superior client care and maximum productivity of the veterinary medical team.
- Maximize the number of pets seen by the hospital team through a productive and efficiently run hospital to support the needs of our wellness plan clients.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service at all times. This includes encouraging hospital visits, welcoming clients and pets, ensuring that they are comfortable in the hospital, educating them about their pet's health, performing or preparing procedures that do not require veterinarian or veterinary technician assistance, completing preparatory work for other procedures, and monitoring hospitalized or surgical pets as allowed in the state practice acts.
- Educate clients about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventative care, pet health needs and hospital services.
- Assist incoming clients by completing the required documentation, entering all pet information and history in the computer, utilizing proper collars and tags for identification, and ensuring prompt service.
- Assist outgoing clients by providing all necessary instructions, information and invoices, dispensing prescription items per the veterinarian's instructions, selling retail products and scheduling future appointments.
- Manage the finances by maintaining accurate balances and utilizing proper opening and closing procedures.
- Act as the extra eyes, ears and hands for the veterinarian and veterinary technician to ensure the best quality pet care and to maximize the veterinarian's and veterinary technician’s productivity, and communicate with the other associates to maintain the flow of patients.
- Obtain relevant information and history from clients and maintain proper and complete medical charts.
- Ensure the safety of pets, clients and associates by utilizing safe restraining techniques, following standard protocols, and maintaining clean, sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and labs.
- Assist with surgery as applicable.
- Utilize technical skills to the fullest, within state practice acts and as outlined in the NAVTA guidelines for veterinary assistant skills and duties. Conduct administrative functions as necessary.
Leadership Responsibilities (approximately 20% of time):
- Assist Practice Manager in developing an efficient, productive hospital team that provides the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients, following all Banfield protocols and practices, as well as all local, state and federal laws, focusing the team to achieve practice priorities while building our culture and brand.
- Support Practice Manager in hospital labor management which may include adjusting paraprofessional team’s schedules on a shift by shift basis.
- May assist Practice Manager in the selection, training, and day-to-day supervision of the paraprofessional team to ensure quality medical care, exceptional client service, associate engagement and maximum productivity.
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional client service (lead by example), ensuring all associates do the same, to include client education about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, pet health needs, hospital services, marketing campaigns, and other related information; effectively resolve client issues.
- Assist Practice Manager in creating an environment where a team can deliver quality, efficient and effective veterinary care to pets.
- Foster an environment that engages associates, where associates do their best and feel good about being a member of the team.
- Provide effective communication between associates, clients, hospital leadership and Central Team Support.
- Ensure all hospital associates adhere to Banfield dress and grooming guidelines.
- Ensure all hospitalized pets are prepped and all equipment is ready for surgery.
- Ensure cases are assigned to VA’s and that they are clear on their work responsibilities for the day.
- Prepare whole team on cases scheduled for the day, assist with any transfers of cases from day before or external referrals to provide continuity of care, triage the treatment board.
- Assist Practice Manager in identifying potential “bottlenecks” and formulating solutions to remove barriers in medical operations that would impede the doctors in providing world class preventive care and client service.
- Confer with field leadership and assist with client resolution decisions, invoice adjustments and client experience exceptions.
- Train and mentor new paraprofessional associates.
- Quality check medical records, go home medications, regulatory documentations, hospital cleanliness, and timeliness of doctors seeing exam room patients.
- Address broken equipment issues and assist in inventory management.
- Other job duties as assigned.
The right person for this job takes great enjoyment in:
- Assisting and supporting the hospital leadership in developing an efficient, productive team that provides the highest quality care and service to the most pets and clients.
- Following Banfield protocols and practices, focusing the team to achieve practice priorities while building our culture and brand.
- Day-to-day supervision of the team when called upon and ensuring quality medical care, exceptional client service, associate engagement and maximum productivity.
- Helping create an environment where a team can deliver quality, efficient and effective veterinary care to pets and fostering an environment that engages associates, where associates do their best and feel good about being a member of the team.
- Providing professional, efficient and exceptional client service (lead by example), ensuring all associates do the same, to include client education about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, pet health needs, hospital services, marketing campaigns, and other related information; effectively resolve client issues.
- Assisting in effectively scheduling associates to meet client needs according, while proactively planning time off and CE scheduling.
- Ensuring compliance with all practice policies and procedures.
- Ensuring adherence to Banfield dress and grooming guidelines.
A career atBanfieldmeans you'll find yourself working in the pet healthcare field alongside industry experts with a chance to make a difference in the lives of pets and the clients we serve through client education and effective communications. Work in a fun team environment that offers a clear career path you can pursue if continued growth and learning is your goal. Banfield offers all associates a generous benefits package including 401(k), paid time off and Optimum Wellness Plans for your pets. In addition, medical, vision and dental insurance is offered to associates based on eligibility.
If you want to become an integral part of an effective team that allows you to put your love of pets to work and are looking for a career with a growing company that cares about the families and pets we serve, please visit Banfield.com/Careers and apply today for an opportunity in your area. We look forward to speaking with you about your desire to join Banfield and make a better world for pets!
- You must believe preventive care is the best and only way to achieve a long and healthy life for each pet.
- You must embrace and thrive on providing exceptional client and pet experiences.
- You must be available to work weekend and evening shifts.
- You must be comfortable working in an environment with loud noise and strong smells.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must have a minimum of two years of veterinary hospital experience.
- We are a drug-free, smoke-free, equal opportunity employer.
Are You Passionate About Preventive Pet Care? Apply Today!
Banfield Pet Hospital strongly supports and values the uniqueness of all individuals and promotes a work environment where diversity is embraced. Banfield Pet Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Banfield Pet Hospital complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every Banfield location.
No recently viewed jobs
No saved jobs
We’re more than just a hospital. We’re an entire network of locations, serving pet lovers around the country — and guided by dedicated teams inside our headquarters.